Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Coffee Break

This morning I went over to Barnes and Noble/Starbucks after dropping the kids off at the airport to go to N. C.. I figured that since I am doing a bookshop/teashop it would be a good place to sit and contemplate what I was going to do. I was right.

I had a great time just sitting there for an hour sketching and making notes(and drinking coffee). I pretty much have everything solidified now. I can't show you the notes or sketches. They are pretty rough and besides, you couldn't read my handwriting anyway. I even did a few lines in mirror writing just for fun. Every once in a while I have to see if I can still do that. I used to do it in college just to confuse people. I also was known for sketching with both hands at once in my life drawing classes. People look at you funny when you take a sculptor's approach to sketching. A piece of charcoal in each hand confuses them no end.......Great fun!


When I got home I decided to do the two tables that I need for the bay window seats.
I started with this pile of stuff.
I am doing 4 1/2 X 2 1/2 rectangular tables with fancy turned legs.....Nope. I'm not turning them. I am using Houseworks stair balusters turned upside down. They work very well, as do any other of the turnings as long as you can either use them the length that they are or can cut them down.
For one table I need 1/16" stock for the top and under bed. I used a piece of fancy molding for the skirt between the legs and 4 Houseworks legs.
I cut one piece of 1/16" stock to 4 1/2 x 2 1/2. Then I cut one that was 4 x 2. I cut a 1/8" piece out of each corner of the under bed. This will be where I seat the legs and it provides a straight edge to support the skirt. The skirt is cut to the same size as the edge of the underskirt - the 1/8" corner cuts.
Here you can see the pieces cut for the two tables. There are 10 pieces for each table.
Next I took them to a well ventilated area and stained them to match the woodwork that I have started doing.
I will have to let them dry overnight. That way they will glue better.
They don't look like much, but stay tuned. Tomorrow I will put them together, sand and Deft satin varnish them at least 3 times.
Meanwhile I am going back to watching the "Pirates of the Caribbean" marathon.
See you tomorrow.

No comments: